Written by admin admin
To sign up as a volunteer staff member, please go to the Sign Up Genius website. You will be asked for your name, email address, and cell phone number. You do not have to sign up for an account with Sign Up Genius. If the shelter is closed on a night that you are scheduled to work (temperature and "feels like" temperature are forcast to be above 32 degrees by the Weather Channel and Weather Underground), you do not have to show up, but please consider signing up for another night. There will be a "Host" from First Presbyterian Church present to assist with opening the shelter each evening, and closing the shelter each morning. Initially, we are limiting signups to two times each week in order to give everyone a chance to be "blessed to be a blessing."
“To Do” List for Volunteer Staff Members
- Arrive at the shelter at 6:45 pm to prepare for guest sign in at 7:00.
- Scan each guest with the metal detector at sign in. If knives are found, they can be locked in the kitchen until morning.
- Place mattresses as needed in the men’s area (west) and women’s area (east) as guest arrive.
- Place a clean blanket on each mattress.
- Allow smoke breaks outside the shelter entrance doors until 10:00 pm.
- Gym lights should be out by 10:00 pm.
- Share a short devotional and/or prayer before lights are turned out.
- Leave lights in entrance hallway (or table lamp) and bathroom hallway on all night (close hallway doors to block some of the light). There are night lights placed around the gym.
- Check the bathrooms each evening. Check for contraband stashed in toilet tanks.
- Turn on lights at 6:30 am.
- Guests are to leave by 7:00 am. Guests may enter from 7:00 pm until 6:00 am, but if a guest leaves before 7:00 am, he or she may not re-enter the shelter.
- Do Not become physically involved in any confrontation. Use your cell phone to summon Madisonville Police at 270.821.1720, or MPD, MFD, or EMS at 911.
- Do not share personal information with any guest; such as last name, phone number, or email.
- Do not give or loan money, cell phone, jewelry, gifts of value, or any personal items to guests.
- Do not wear expensive clothing or jewelry when working in the shelter.
- Do not accept any personal item or gift from any guest.
- Do not date, meet up with, or enter into a personal relationship of any kind with any guest.