God is Still Here
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
“I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe.” Smith Wigglesworth
What we believe matters. It matters every second of every day.
- A flood of negative circumstances is batting you down. The existence of a good God begins to seem questionable to you. Where do you turn?
- Two nicely dressed young men knock on your door wanting to teach you about their religion. The things they are teaching sound good, yet in your heart you know they are not being completely honest in what they say. Where do you turn?
- You’re at a point in life where much of what you’ve thought and have worked for don’t seem to be worth the effort. And now, there are choices ahead – choices that will determine the rest of your life. Where do you turn?
- After years of faithful prayer and worship, this “God experience” is drying up and you are emotionally sapped. Where do you turn?
- Maybe you are standing on the edge of a compromise you thought you’d never make. The moral crossroads in front of you are huge. Where do you turn?
In critical times like these (along with many more we will face daily), where can we turn to figure out right from wrong? Where do we go to test our thoughts and ideas to decide whether they are worthy of belief? The answer to these questions once again came to me last night in a conversation with one of the homeless fellows who has been spending cold nights in God’s Warm Place, our emergency cold weather shelter. This young man has just about everything he owns in the world tucked in a backpack and a couple of bags. Like you and me, he’s made some decisions in life that were not very good. Unlike you and me, his choices have left him homeless. His word to me, even though everything in his life seems to be unstable and unsure, was that God is still here and continues to give us the guidance we need if we'll just pay attention.
“For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12
Lord, when my thoughts are muddied and my emotions are out of check, please pull my mind back into the truth of Your Word. Today, fill my soul with Your living Word, so that I might believe and live the truth - Your truth. Amen.